Ngāti Rangiwewehi Area of Interest (30/12/2012).
In accordance with Section 39 of the Ngāti Rangiwewehi Claims Settlement Act 2014, information recording the statutory acknowledgements is hereby attached to the Bay of Plenty Regional Policy Statement. This information includes the relevant provisions from the schedules to the Ngāti Rangiwewehi Claims Settlement Act 2014 in full, the description of the Statutory Areas and the statement of association as recorded in the statutory acknowledgements.
Deed of Settlement between the Crown and Ngāti Rangiwewehi
The historical account describes the constructive relationship that developed between the Crown and Ngāti Rangiwewehi in the 1840s and 1850s. However, when the Crown brought war to Tauranga in 1864, members of Ngāti Rangiwewehi went to assist their traditional allies. The Crown regarded Māori who fought in the Tauranga battles as rebels and confiscated 290,000 acres of land around Tauranga including land in which Ngāti Rangiwewehi had customary interests. The Crown retained 50,000 acres and returned the remainder to Māori. However, all customary interests in the returned lands were compulsorily extinguished. Kereopa Te Rau was a member of Ngāti Rangiwewehi. In 1864, during the Waikato war, his wife and daughter were killed by Crown forces. In the Eastern Bay of Plenty in 1865 a group of Māori killed a missionary who had previously sent the Crown a plan of the pā where Kereopa’s whānau were killed. In 1871, Kereopa was convicted of the murder of the missionary and sentenced to death.
The historical account also discusses the impact on Ngāti Rangiwewehi of the land laws introduced in the 1860s and how in the 1870s Ngāti Rangiwewehi leaders criticised these laws, and unsuccessfully called for tribal control of land and resources. In 1880, Ngāti Rangiwewehi were among the Māori signatories to an agreement made with the Crown to establish a township at Rotorua. A committee of local chiefs concluded Ngāti Rangiwewehi had interests in the township block but the Native Land Court did not award Ngāti Rangiwewehi any interests there. The Crown acquired most of the lands of Ngāti Rangiwewehi prior to 1909. In the 1890s the Crown purchased individualised shares in a block in the core Ngāti Rangiwewehi rohe before the block had been partitioned and the specific holdings of hapū and whānau had been defined. In 1896 the Crown applied to have its interests in the block defined and was awarded roughly a third of the block, including the most valuable land in the block and freshwater springs near Hamurana which are taonga for Ngāti Rangiwewehi.
The historical account concludes with a description of the 1966 taking from Ngāti Rangiwewehi of a block near Ngongotaha. This block, which was compulsorily acquired by a local authority for waterworks purposes, contains springs known collectively as Taniwha Springs which are central to Ngāti Rangiwewehi traditions and identity as an iwi. A pump station was built over the springs where it remains today. The local authority had previously sought an alternative source of water from the Crown but the Crown refused to make it available.
For a full description of the historical grievances please refer to the historical account in the deed.